Saturday, July 25, 2009

Twilight: It's Late and the Sun is almost Down "...be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

I can hear the fading voice of Jesus in the distance: "...be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." There you are standing in the midst of life, and perhaps, a midnight experience, dreams dashed, hope in a casket, family broken, wife/husband stricken with disease. Age 50 or even earlier taps you on the shoulder. It says it's twilight, come on, the sun is almost down. Knowing what he is talking about you don't question him. Now, of course, you know the story, I'm sure you'll say to me, "The first thing I would do is ask him, where to?" He'll probably say, "Where else? Into the setting sun." You can't shake the persistence of messengers from the valley of the shadows of death; they stand behind age 50, making ugly faces at you. You then say nothing. You let your mind do the moving around, restlessly, you've been trained to hide emotion. Or maybe not, in which case your pertubation is visible. The messengers from the valley and the big 50 are having a nasty blast at your expense.

In your confusion, you are attempting to take stock, take account of what you've done. Oh, "Did I bury my talents? Everytime I built, it was as if a pig showed up and blew the whole thing down..." The point is, you are nervous, frantic, and at points, even hysterical. The sun is almost down. What have you spent life and time doing? Being massaged by temptations to become romantically involved with the physical world. Do we ever pray for spiritual gifts? We pray for material things, but do we pray for spiritual gifts and blessings. Or, is it a waste of time? The first responsibility is to seek first the Kingdom of God, not the kingdom of the world; first, the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all other things will be addded unto us; even peace in the twilight. I can hear the fading sound of Jesus' voice: "...be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." The fading sound is harrowing, this proximity must be closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment